Craig Claiborne's Real Texas Chili
- 3 pounds boneless chuck, 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 6 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 broth can of water
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Sauté beef in oil in 4-quart pot until meat changes color but doesn't brown,
8 to 10 minutes. Combine chili powder, cumin and flour in cup. Add with garlic to
beef; stir to coat meat. Add oregano.
- Combine broth and water in bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups broth mixture and pepper to meat.
Simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours, stirring. Add remaining broth mixture to
meat; simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes or until meat is very tender.
- Add beans; heat through. Garnish with sour cream and lime.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.