Green Garlic Chili
This is great alone or served in flour tortillas with plenty of picante sauce.
- 3 pounds fresh pork, cubed in small pieces or coarsely ground
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 large onion
- 6 to 8 fresh New Mexico green chiles or 2 to 4 small cans whole green chiles, chopped
- 3 large fresh, home grown GREEN tomatoes
- Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven or stainless pot. Cook pork until it is white and
braised on all sides. Remove pork from pot. Sauté garlic and onion in oil until
onion is clear. (Don't chop garlic; sauté peeled, whole cloves.)
- Chop tomatoes and green chiles; add them to the onion-garlic mix. Sauté. Put
pork back into the pot. Add enough water to cover and simmer, covered, for about
1 1/2 to 2 hours, until pork is done and chili is thick and rich looking. You may
need to add more water during the cooking process. Stir to prevent sticking.