Hearty Turkey Chili
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground raw turkey
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans
tomatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves,
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- Sliced scallions
- Dairy sour cream or plain yogurt
- In Dutch oven, sauté onions, green pepper and garlic in oil.
- Add turkey and cook
until lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, chili sauce, chili powder, lemon pepper, basil,
thyme and hot pepper sauce. Cover; simmer 45 minutes.
- Add kidney beans; simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with scallions, cheese and sour cream.
Makes 8 servings (about 9 cups).