This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Historic Jailhouse Chili
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cans beer
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 can chili beans in gravy
- Salt and pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon until crisp; crumble. Season and brown sausage and ground beef; drain
well. Reserve 1/4 cup of fat and sauté onion and garlic in large stockpot. Add bacon,
meat, beer, tomato paste, tomato sauce, oregano, cumin and chili powder; simmer
for 2 hours.
- Add beans and cook for 20 minutes more.
- Serve with grated cheese. If you like it hotter, add finely minced serrano chiles.
Source: August 1999 Gold Platter Award Recipe Contest