- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds venison, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer or 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, snipped
- In a 4-quart pot heat oil. Add half of the venison; cook with onion until browned.
- Add remaining venison, carrots, parsnips, currants or raisins, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes; stir in chili powder, flour, salt, cumin and red pepper. Add drained beans, undrained tomatoes, beer or broth and water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring often.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and top with cilantro.
Yield: 6 servings