Hyde Park Chili
- 3 pounds Certified Angus Beef ® bottom round roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 (4-ounce)
can chopped green chiles
- 2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely minced
- Avocado slices, diced green peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, diced scallions or sour cream
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Brown beef cubes in 1 pound batches for
3 to 4 minutes per batch; transfer beef to slow cooker after browning.
- Add onions and garlic to the pan. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat
until pan comes clean from the softening onions.
- Transfer to a slow cooker. Stir in cumin, oregano, chili powder, sugar,
tomatoes, beans, green chiles and jalapenos.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Serve and garnish with optional toppings.
Goes great with cornbread.
Reprinted with permission from
Certified Angus Beef® brand.