Lonesome Man Chili
- 4 pounds round steak
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 40 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 6 to 10 dried small red chile peppers
- Trim steak and cut into large chunks, about 1/2 inch square.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper. Roll beef in mixture.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a deep, heavy skillet. Brown meat on all sides. Remove meat from skillet.
- Reduce heat and add 1 tablespoon oil and garlic; cook until garlic is golden.
- Add broth, whiskey and chile peppers to garlic.
- Put browned meat on top of garlic; cover and cook slowly until beef is tender, about 1 hour.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Posted by tgraddy at Recipe Goldmine May 30, 2001.