Memphis Barbecue Shrimp Chili
Memphis Barbecue Shrimp Chili is a soupy, saucy chili. Serve on white rice to absorb the gravy or with
chunks of French bread for dipping.
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco or similar brand)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, sliced very thin
- White rice and /or French bread
- Peel and clean the shrimp.
- Melt the butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add the garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add the shrimp and cook until pink.
- Add the barbecue, Worcestershire, and hot sauces, the liquid smoke, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and chili powder. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley and lemon slices. Simmer 5 to 7 minutes longer.
Source: Chili Nation by Jane and Michael Stern