Navajo Green Chili
This Navajo Green Chili recipe is from the Navajo Cultural Center in Kayenta, Arizona.
- 1 (3 pound) pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried, ground Mexican oregano
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole green chiles
- Melt bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat. Put flour into a paper bag and shake the meat with the flour to coat meat. Add the meat to the bacon grease a little at a time and brown well and evenly.
- Remove the meat to a 5-quart Dutch oven. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet and sauté until translucent. Add these to the pork in the pot. Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring pot to a boil, and keep stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. When boiling, lower heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Taste, adjust seasonings per personal taste, and cook for 30 minutes more.