Navajo Green Chili
- 1 (3 pound) pork shoulder, trimmed of fat
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried, ground Mexican oregano
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole green chiles
- Melt bacon grease in a skillet over medium-high heat. Put flour into a paper
bag and shake the meat with the flour to coat meat. Add the meat to the bacon grease
a little at a time and brown well and evenly.
- Remove the meat to a 5-quart Dutch oven. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet
and sauté until translucent. Add these to the pork in the pot. Stir in the remaining
ingredients, bring pot to a boil, and keep stirring every 2 to 3 minutes. When boiling,
lower heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Taste, adjust seasonings per personal taste, and cook for 30 minutes more.
Source: Navajo Cultural Center