Nevada Cowboy Chili
- 1/2 cup lard
- 3 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno peppers
- 8 pounds coarse grind beef chuck
- 30 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 8 tablespoons ground red hot chile
- 4 tablespoons ground red mild chile
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- Garlic salt to taste
- Onion salt to taste
- Salt to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces beer
- Heat the lard in a large heavy pot over medium high heat. Add the onions, peppers, celery and jalapenos. Cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent. Add the meat to the pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is evenly browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours. Stir often.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.