New Mexican Red Chili
When you order chili in New Mexico, this is what will be served to you.
- 6 to 8 dried red chiles, stems removed
- 2 pounds pork, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water or beef broth
- Salt, to taste
- Place the chiles on a baking sheet in a 250 degree F oven and toast for 15 minutes, being careful not to let them burn.
- Place the chiles in a saucepan, cover with water, and simmer for 15 minutes until soft.
- Place chiles in a blender with the water, and puree until smooth.
- Brown the pork in the oil. Add the garlic and sauté. Pour off any excess fat.
- Combine the chile mixture, pork and remaining water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the pork is very tender and starts to fall apart — at least 2 hours.