Old-Fashioned Brick Chili
- 5 pounds lean chili meat
- 1 pound suet, ground
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper
- 4 or 5 chile peppers,
parboiled, skinned and finely chopped
- 3 large tablespoons chili powder
- Put suet into pan, let melt, then add onions. Add chili meat and cook until meat
stands apart, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except chili powder; turn to low and cook slowly until
tender, about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- About 15 minutes before meat is done, add chili powder and simmer. Pour into
rectangular bowls in refrigerator to thicken.
This will keep for weeks.