Pecos Bill's Chili con Carne
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, including liquid
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can red kidney beans, including liquid
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- Dash Tabasco sauce or cayenne pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings in a large frying pan and sauté garlic
until golden brown. Add chopped onion and green pepper. Cover pan and cook over
low heat until onion is translucent.
- Meanwhile, mash canned tomatoes in own liquid in a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch
oven, then add chili beans and kidney beans, including the liquid. Add salt, vinegar,
pepper, chili powder, Tabasco sauce to beans and tomatoes and bring to simmer. Add
sautéed garlic, onion and green pepper.
- Reheat frying pan and sauté beef in remaining bacon drippings, stirring with
a fork to crumble, until cooked. Drain off fat and add beef to bean mixture in saucepan.
Simmer, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls topped with chopped onion and Cheddar cheese.
- Accompany chili with saltine crackers or hot buttered tortillas.
Serves 4 to 6.
Source: Disneyland cookbook - 1976