Pedernales River Chili
This is the chili that was always cooked at the LBJ Ranch in Texas. It was a
favorite of Lyndon B. Johnson. He ate this with saltine crackers and a glass of
ice cold milk.
- 4 pounds coarsely-ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 6 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cups hot water
- Put the meat, onion and garlic in a large pot and sear until light brown.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, covered,
for 1 hour.
- Let cool, then refrigerate.
- Skim the congealed fat from the top.
- Reheat the chili to serve.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.