Puppy's Breath Chili
This recipe (by Cathy Wilkey of Seattle) took the first place $25,000 prize at
the 1993, 27th World's Chili Championship in Reno, Nevada.
- 1 (3 pound) tri-tip beef or sirloin tip, cut into small pieces or coarsely ground
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons Gebhardt chili powder
- 1 tablespoon New Mexico mild chili powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons California chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 dried New Mexico chile pepper, boiled and pureed
- 3 dried California chile peppers
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 lime
- Dash of MSG (optional)
- Salt to taste
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Brown meat in oil for about 30 minutes over medium heat. Add onion and enough
beef broth to cover meat. Bring to boil and cook for 15 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon
cumin and 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- Reduce heat to light boil and add half of the garlic. Add half of the chili powder,
and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and pulp from the dried peppers and remaining garlic. Add any
remaining beef broth and chicken broth for desired consistency.
- Cook for one hour on medium heat stirring occasionally. Add remaining chili powders
and cumin. Simmer for 25 minutes on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Turn up heat to light boil and add Tabasco pepper sauce, salt to taste, brown
sugar and juice of lime. Simmer over medium heat.
Country World - Thursday, October 21, 1993
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Chili Recipes