Quaker Mexican Chicken and Barley Chili
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium Quaker Barley
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- In 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil until onion is
- Add remaining ingredients, except chicken. Use the tomato juice and chop the
tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer 40 minutes, stirring
- Add cooked chicken; continue simmering 5 to 10 minutes or until chicken is heated
through and barley is tender. Add additional water or chicken broth if chili becomes
too thick upon standing.
Makes nine 1-cup servings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.