Reno Red Chili
- 1 (3 pound) round steak, coarsely ground
- 1 (3 pound) chuck steak, coarsely ground
- 1 cup vegetable oil or suet
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 ounces Gebhardt Chili Powder
- 6 tablespoons cumin
- 6 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 dried chile pods, seeded and stemmed, boiled 30 minutes in water or 1 (3 ounce) bottle New Mexico pepper
- 1 tablespoon oregano brewed in 1/2 cup Budweiser beer (like tea)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons Masa Harina
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Brown meat in oil or fat, adding black pepper to taste.
- Drain meat and add chili powder, cumin, MSG, garlic and chopped onion. Cook for
30 to 45 minutes using as little liquid as possible. Add water only as necessary.
- Remove skins from boiled chile pods. Mash the pulp and add to meat mixture.
- Strain oregano tea, then add to meat mixture along with paprika, vinegar, 2/3
of the beef broth, green chiles, stewed tomatoes and Tabasco sauce. Simmer for 30
to 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Dissolve Masa Harina in remaining beef broth then pour into chili. Simmer another
30 minutes, stirring often.
Yield: 6 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Chili Recipes