- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Chopped scallions
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the meat, onion, bell pepper, garlic
and jalapeno, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the meat is browned
and the vegetables tender. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes and their juice, macaroni, chili powder,
cumin, oregano, salt and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and
simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring often, until the macaroni is tender and
the liquid has evaporated.
- Top with cheese. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- If desired, pass chopped scallions and sour cream at the table.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.