- 5 pounds ground round
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (more if
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can light red
- 2 (16 ounce) cans small red beans
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large green bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 3 jalapeno peppers, cored and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 large white or
yellow onion, chopped
- 8 to 10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 (28 ounce) cans
- 3 (64 ounce) cans tomato juice
- Chili powder to taste
- Break up and cook meat in large frying pan until browned and crumbly. Drain thoroughly.
- Season with salt, pepper, and at least 1 tablespoon of chili powder. Set aside.
- Sauté green peppers, jalapenos, onions and garlic in oil until limp.
- Add tomatoes
and juice from pan into a large pot.
- Add ground round, sautéed vegetables, and beans
- Add tomato juice until chili is soupy, not too thick.
- Season with chili
powder to taste.
- Simmer for 90 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
Leftover chili can be frozen.