- 1 (3 pound) round steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound pinto beans
- 2 quarts tomatoes
- 1 pound yellow onions
- 3 sweet bell peppers
- 5 dried chile peppers
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- Red pepper
- 1/4 cup Crisco
- 2 tablespoons Crisco
- 1/2 gallon water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Soak pinto beans in 1/2 gallon water overnight in refrigerator.
- In a 10- to 12-inch skillet, brown round steak in the 1/4 cup Crisco, stirring
- In another skillet, brown ground chuck on low heat, stirring frequently for 10
- Cut up onions and bell peppers in 1/2-inch pieces. Add to ground chuck with 2
tablespoons Crisco and sauté for approximately 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mince chile peppers very fine.
- In a large 8-quart or larger kettle, combine pinto beans, browned round steak,
sauteed ground chuck, onions, peppers, 2 quarts tomatoes, minced chile peppers and
the 1/2 cup chili powder; cook covered on simmer for 2 hours.
- Add salt and red pepper to taste. Add sugar and simmer for 4 hours. Add additional
water sparingly, if necessary.
- Taste and add more chili powder, salt, red pepper and sugar as desired. Simmer
1 hour (total cooking time is 7 hours).
- Serve with Texas toast or oyster crackers and ice cold milk or iced tea.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.