- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds lean boneless beef,cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons Gebhardt chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot peppers
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Masa Harina
- In a large Dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic
and sauté until very lightly browned.
- Add the beef cubes in several batches and brown on all sides.
- When all the beef is browned, add all remaining ingredients except the Masa Harina.
Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over low heat for 3 to 4 hours until the
meat is very tender. If too much of the liquid cooks away, add some more hot water
during the cooking. Adjust salt and chili powder, adding more to taste if desired.
- To thicken the chili, mix the Masa Harina with a little cold water, then add
this to the chili while it is still simmering. Cook the chili 10 to 15 minutes longer.
- Serve the chili in bowls with saltines and cooked pinto beans on the side.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.