Tucson Mission Chili
This recipe was originally published in the Mission Cookbook of the St. Ann's
Society of Tucson, Arizona in 1909. Many times olives, raisins and wine were added
to the recipe.
- 1 pound beef steak, coarsely ground
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons lard or
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tomato, diced
- Mix together the beefsteak and onion.
- Heat lard in a pan, then add beefsteak-onion mix. While it browns, sprinkle it
with the flour, then salt and pepper to taste. Add chili powder to the boiling water
and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the chili water to the browned meat, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add tomato and simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency.