Vegetable and Bean Chili
Finding lactose-free meals that are actually tasty and satisfying can be challenging. However, our vegetable and bean chili is entirely lactose-free, featuring a delicious assortment of veggies, spices, and Cabot Sharp Cheddar Cheese. The recipe makes 12 servings, making it perfect to serve for lunch or as an appetizer for an outdoor barbecue.
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 zucchinis, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces Cabot Sharp Cheddar, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 limes, cut into wedges
- In a Dutch oven, cook onions and peppers in oil until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, stock, beans and jalapeño.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer
for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese and cilantro.
- Squeeze lime juice over the chili for brightness.
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Jon Ashton.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Chili Recipes