Venison Bowl of Red
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless venison shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups crushed Italian plum tomatoes, in juices
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, to taste
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Place 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large pot. Add onion; cook over low heat
for 10 minutes, stirring.
- Crumble the sausage meat into the pot, raise the heat to medium high and brown
well for 10 minutes, stirring to break up the clumps. As the meat cooks, sprinkle
with the chili powder, cumin, oregano and pepper flakes.
- Heat remaining oil in a nonstick skillet. Brown the venison quickly in small
batches over medium-high heat; add to the pot. Add beef broth, tomatoes (with juices),
tomato paste, chipotles and brown sugar. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for
1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell pepper and simmer 30 minutes more or until venison is tender; do not
boil. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley.
- Serve in bowls over rice.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.