Chinese Seaweed (Deep Fried Bok Choy)
The seaweed in this recipe is actually bok choy that has been deep-fried just
until it turns crispy.
- 1/2 pound bok choy
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds
- 2 cups oil for deep-frying,
or as needed
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Wash the bok choy and drain thoroughly.
- Finely chop the toasted almonds.
- When the bok choy has dried, separate the stalks and leaves. Roll the leaves
up cigar-style, and then cut into thin shreds.
- Heat the oil in a wok to between 300 and 325 degrees F. Add a batch of the shredded
bok choy. Submerge the bok choy shreds in the hot oil for a few seconds only and
remove quickly. (If you have one, a mesh deep-frying basket is ideal for this).
Do not let the leaves turn brown. Drain on paper towels. Continue with the remainder
of the bok choy shreds.
- Place the shreds in a bowl and toss with the sugar and chopped almonds.
Serves 4 to 6