Mini Spring Rolls
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pepper, to taste
- 6 medium shrimp
- 1 medium carrot
- 4 water chestnuts,
fresh or canned
- 1 green onion
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup shredded Napa
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon
- 2 teaspoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons chicken
- Few drops sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Oil for deep-frying and
- 16 to 18 mini spring roll wrappers
- Marinate the ground pork with the marinade ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the shrimp under warm running water and pat dry. Finely chop.
- Peel and shred the carrot. Finely chop the water chestnuts. Dice the green onion.
Rinse the mung bean sprouts and drain thoroughly. Shred the cabbage. String and
chop the celery. Mince the ginger.
- In a small bowl, combine the oyster sauce, rice wine or sherry, chicken stock
and sesame oil. Whisk in the cornstarch.
- Heat the wok over medium-high to high heat. Heat 2 tablespoons oil. When the
oil is hot, add the ground pork. Stir-fry until it is nearly cooked through. Remove
and clean out the wok.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add 1/2 of the minced ginger. Stir-fry
until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the shrimp. Stir-fry until it turns pink.
Remove from the wok.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the remaining half of minced
ginger. Stir-fry until aromatic. Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry. Push
the vegetables up to the sides of the wok. Add the sauce in the middle, stirring
quickly to thicken. Add the shrimp and pork back into the pan. Mix everything together.
Allow the filling to cool.
- Heat the oil for frying to 360 and 375 degrees F.
- To make the spring rolls, lay
one mini spring roll wrapper in front of you. Wet the edges. Add 2 heaping teaspoons
in the bottom half. Take the bottom edge and wrap over the filling, tuck in the
2 side edges, and continue rolling up. Seal the edges.
- Deep-fry the spring rolls until golden brown and crispy. Cook in batches, taking
care not to overcrowd the wok. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional Breakdown (based on 20 mini spring rolls) Each serving contains:
Calories 67, 2 g Carbohydrates, 2 g Protein, 6 g Total Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 3
g Monounsaturated Fat, 1 g Polyunsaturated Fat, 7 mg Cholesterol, trace Fibre, 61
mg Sodium, 57 mg Potassium
A good source of vitamin A.