- 6 dried black mushrooms
- 1/4 pound lean pork
Marinades for Shrimp and Pork
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
teaspoon sesame oil
- A pinch of cornstarch
- 10 medium raw shrimp, shelled and
- 1 tablespoon rice wine, dry sherry or sake
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1/2 red bell pepper
Chinese garlic chives
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 cup shredded Napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese
rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For Frying Spring Rolls
- 4 cups oil for deep-frying, plus
about 6 tablespoons for stir-frying
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped
- 24 spring roll wrappers
- Plum sauce or duck sauce
- Chinese hot mustard
- Soften the mushrooms by soaking in hot water for 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze out
any excess water. Cut off the stems and slice finely.
- Cut the pork into matchsticks. Add the soy sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch.
Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the shrimp under warm running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Chop finely.
Toss with the rice wine and cornstarch. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the mung bean sprouts and drain thoroughly. Wash the red bell pepper and
dice. Wash and dice the garlic chives. Wash and shred the carrots and cabbage.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Set aside. Heat the wok
over medium-high to high heat. When the oil is hot, add 2 tablespoons oil. When
the oil is hot, add the garlic and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the pork. Stir-fry
until it turns white and is about 80 percent cooked through. Remove from the wok
and drain on paper towels.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger. Stir-fry until aromatic.
Add the shrimp. Stir-fry until they turn pink. Remove from the wok and drain.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the vegetables, one at a time,
beginning with the mushrooms, then the red bell pepper, cabbage, garlic chives,
shredded carrot and mung bean sprouts.
- Add the sauce to the wok. Add the pork and shrimp back into the pan. Heat through.
Remove and cool.
- Clean out the wok. Pre-heat the oil for deep-frying to 360 degrees F while preparing
the spring rolls.
- Lay a spring roll wrapper in front of you so that it forms a diamond shape. Use
your index finger to wet all the edges with water or a cornstarch/water paste. Place
approximately 2 tablespoons of filling near the bottom. Roll over once, tuck in
the sides, and then continue rolling. Seal the top.
- Deep-fry the spring rolls in 3 to 4 batches, cooking until they are golden brown
and crispy (about 3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the spring rolls with the plum sauce and hot mustard for dipping.
Yields about 24 spring rolls