Holiday Cheddar Star
You can make this with one kind of cheddar, or use a different flavor for each
triangle, as shown. And of course, you can make a larger star for a bigger crowd.
Instead of a traditional cheese platter this holiday season, try displaying a variety
of Cabot cheeses in a festive shape – a holiday cheddar star! This fun and creative,
lactose free, idea can be made smaller or larger, depending on the size of your
gathering, and will liven up any food table.
- 5 (8-ounce) bars assorted flavors Cabot Sharp Cheddar or Cabot Pepper Jack, cut into cubes
Fresh bay leaves or other herb
Roasted nuts, mixed olives, or grape tomatoes
- Cut cheese bars into approximate 3/4-inch cubes, about 30 cubes for each flavor.
- On large platter or cheese board (star will be about 13 inches in diameter),
place five evenly spaced cubes to form outer tips of star.
- Arrange more cubes in lines to outline five triangles.
- Fill in center of each triangle with as many cubes as will fit, then top with
second layer of cubes.
- Tuck bay leaves or herbs into star.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Fill center with nuts, olives or tomatoes.
Yield: about 20 servings
*Try Cabot flavors such as: Cabot Smoky Bacon Cheddar, Cabot Garlic & Herb
Cheddar, or Cabot Chipotle Cheddar.
Reprinted with permission from
Cabot Creamery - cabotcheese.coop.