Yield: about 12 servings, 1/2 cup each
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries with stems
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Half-and-Half or fat-free Half-and-Half
- 1/2 cup rum (optional)
- Ground nutmeg
- Drain cherries, reserving juice; set aside.
- Mix eggs, sugar and salt in heavy 2 quart saucepan. Stir in milk. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often, or until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in reserved cherry juice and vanilla extract.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in Half-and-Half and rum. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Serve immediately. Garnish each serving with a stemmed cherry.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Cherry Growers Foundation