Creamy Eggnog is a rich holiday classic made even better with a soft custard base.
Yield: 10 servings
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1 or 2 drops yellow food color, if desired
- Ground nutmeg
- In a 2 quart heavy saucepan, stir eggs, granulated sugar and salt until well mixed. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon; remove from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool. (If custard curdles, beat vigorously with hand beater until smooth.) Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Just before serving, in chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream, the rum and food color into custard.
- Pour custard mixture into small punch bowl. Drop remaining whipped cream in mounds onto custard mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Per serving: Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 90); Total Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 95mg; Sodium 70mg; Total Carbohydrate 12g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 12g); Protein 4g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 10%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: