A rich holiday classic made even better with a soft custard base.
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1 or 2 drops yellow food color, if desired
- Ground nutmeg
- In 2-quart heavy saucepan, stir eggs, granulated sugar and salt until well
mixed. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring
constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon; remove from heat. Stir in
1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool.
(If custard curdles, beat vigorously with hand beater until smooth.) Cover and
refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Just before serving, in chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered
sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract with electric mixer on high speed until
stiff. Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream, the rum and food color into custard.
- Pour custard mixture into small punch bowl. Drop remaining whipped cream
in mounds onto custard mixture. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
Yield: 10 servings
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 90); Total
Fat 10g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 95mg; Sodium 70mg; Total Carbohydrate
12g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 12g); Protein 4g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 10%; Iron 0%
Exchanges: 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 1
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.