Rompope (Mexican Eggnog)
This is also known as Rompope de Santa Clara or Mexican Eggnog. Rumpope was first made at the Santa Clara convent in Puebla, Mexico in the 1600s.
This recipe uses raw eggs, so please be careful.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup light cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups light or dark rum
- 2/3 cup bourbon
- Ground nutmeg
- In a blender, combine the sugar and egg yolks just until well blended.
- Add the light cream, vanilla extract, sweetened condensed milk, rum and
bourbon; blend just until the sugar is dissolved.
- Store, refrigerated, in a glass container for no more than a few days.
- Serve in small glasses or cups. Sprinkle individual cups or glasses of
egg nog with nutmeg before serving.