- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk (save white to beat separately and fold in last)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 heaping cup flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8-inch square pan.
- Mix butter, molasses, egg yolk and sugar.
- Add baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and flour. Stir in boiling water.
- Fold in the beaten egg white (this what makes the cake so light.) Batter may
look thin but is all right.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or lemon curd.