Cheesy Pull Apart Christmas Tree Rolls
There is no better combination than Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and bread.
Shape it like a Christmas tree and you have the most amazing Holiday appetizer
of all-time. Don’t miss making this super simple, super yummy, show stopping
recipe this season.
- 1 cup low-fat milk, warmed to 104 to 112 degrees F
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1/2 cup Cabot Unsalted Butter, melted and divided
- 1 egg
- 3 1/4 cups King Arthur All-Purpose Flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped herbs like rosemary, thyme and pimento stuffed olive for star tree topper
- Pimento stuffed olives for garnish
- 1 cup warmed marinara sauce for dipping
- Stir warm milk and sugar in bowl of a stand mixer or mixing bowl.
Sprinkle yeast over the milk and let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup melted butter and 1 beaten egg together and whisk to
- Add flour, sprinkle with salt and mix with the dough hook
attachment until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes on medium speed.
Alternatively, stir in about ⅔ of the flour with a wooden spoon until stiff.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gradually knead the dough
by hand incorporating the remaining ⅓ flour until the dough is smooth and
elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Coat a bowl with cooking spray or oil and
set dough into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm spot
until the dough is doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Turn dough out onto
a lightly floured surface. Punch down into a flat shape. Grate 4 ounces
Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar and sprinkle over the dough. Fold the dough
over and gradually knead cheddar into the dough until incorporated, about 45
seconds. Let rest on the surface (covered with plastic) until relaxed, 30 to
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Divide the
dough into 22 roughly equal balls and place on the baking sheet in a
Christmas tree shape as shown in the photo with forming bottom rows with six
balls and continuing with five balls on top and so on. Let dough rise for 30
to 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F while dough is rising.
- Bake until the top is deeply golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir the remaining 1/4 melted butter, garlic salt and chopped herbs in a small bowl
to combine. Brush the melted butter mixture on the warm bread and let the
tree cool on the baking sheet about 10 minutes.
- Place the Christmas
tree on a serving platter. Cut the remaining 2 ounces of cheddar into five
triangles and one square. And arrange into a star shape at the top of the
tree. Place pimento stuffed olive half in the center. Serve with warmed
marinara sauce for dipping.
Prep: 4 hrs 5 mins | Cook: 30 mins | Yield: 11 servings
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission): Cabot Creamery