Chocolate Chip and Cherry-Banana Bread
Chocolate chips and cherries go bananas in a bread that puts a new twist on a
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup halved red and green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of 1 loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3
inches, or 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, with shortening; lightly
- Beat sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed,
or mix with spoon, until well mixed.
- Beat in bananas, sour cream and eggs.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in chocolate chips, cherries and
nuts. Pour into pan(s).
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
out clean (if bread becomes too brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil about
10 minutes before end of bake time).
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaf from pan(s); remove from pan(s) to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 1 hour.
Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices)
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Use 1/2 cup sugar and 1/3 cup butter. Heat oven
to 375 degrees F. Bake 9-inch loaf 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Bake 8-inch loaves
45 to 55 minutes.
Success: For nicely shaped bread with no rim around the edge, only the bottom of the pan
is greased and floured.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 295 (Calories from Fat 115 );
Total Fat 13 g (Saturated Fat 6 g); Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium 230 mg; Total Carbohydrate
40 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 4 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2 %; Iron 8 %
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills