Christmas English Gingerbread
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (no substitution)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger (must be fresh)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- About 1 cup molasses
- Mix the flour, sugar, ginger and salt together.
- Cut cold butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or work in with your fingertips.
- Add just enough molasses to hold the ingredients together without being sticky.
- Wrap the dough airtight and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- Roll very thin on a well-floured board and cut as desired or shape into "logs"
and slice into rounds.
- Bake on foil-lined, ungreased cookie sheets for about 8 minutes.
Yield: 60 (2-inch) cookies
Posted by LladyRusty at Recipe Goldmine 12/18/2001 1:16 am.
Source: Alice Demetrius Stock, Vintage Cookbooks Column, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- December 13, 1998