Festive Spiced Apple Rolls
Store-bought spiced apple rings dress up basic bread dough. The resulting rolls
are both pretty and delicious.
- 2 1/2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons
packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package regular or quick active dry
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 (14 ounce) jar spiced apple rings, drained
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk
- In large bowl, mix 3/4 cup of the flour, the brown sugar, salt and yeast.
- In small saucepan, heat 1/3 cup milk, the water and butter until warm, 105 degrees
F to 115 degrees F. (Butter need not be melted.)
- Gradually stir into flour mixture. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed 2
minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add egg and 1/4 cup of the flour. Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl
- Stir in remaining flour until stiff dough forms. Grease top of dough. Cover bowl
tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 3
- Grease 12 regular-size muffins cups. Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface,
roll dough into 15 x 10-inch rectangle.
- Place apple rings in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on medium speed
until almost smooth. Spread apples over dough to within 1/4 inch of edges. Roll
up dough tightly, beginning at 15-inch side. Pinch edge of dough firmly into roll
to seal. Stretch and shape until even.
- Cut roll into 12 equal slices. Place slices cut sides up in muffin cups. Snip
part way through each slice twice, cutting into fourths, using kitchen scissors.
Gently spread dough pieces open. Cover and let rise in warm place about 25 minutes
or until double. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately
remove from pan to cooling rack. (At this point, rolls can be frozen in freezer-safe
bags up to 1 month. To serve, remove rolls from bag and wrap in foil. Reheat in
325 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until hot.)
- In medium bowl, mix all glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle.
Drizzle glaze over warm rolls.
- Serve warm or cool.
Yield: 12 rolls
Simplify: Skip the vanilla glaze, and drizzle
these apple rolls with store-bought caramel topping instead. Yum!
Time Saver: Short on time? Start with one
loaf (from a 2-pound package) of frozen white bread dough, thawed, instead of making
the scratch dough. It'll take you only 30 minutes to make these rolls from start
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 35 ); Total
Fat 4 g (Saturated Fat 1 g); Cholesterol 20 mg; Sodium 145 mg; Total Carbohydrate
39 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 4 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4 %; Calcium 2 %; Iron 8 %
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 Fruit; 1/2 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.