Gift of the Magi Bread (T&T)
I have an identical recipe to this one which comes from the December/January,
2002 issue of Taste of Home, except I call it "Wonderful Christmas Bread."
I have been making this bread for God knows how long. The aroma of this bread fills
the whole house. This loaf is full of wonderful flavors that compliment each other.
It is very delicious and has an excellent texture. I make this during the Christmas
holiday to give out as gifts. My family and friends enjoy this bread and look forward
to my making it every Christmas. Give it a try!
- 1/2 cup softened sweet butter (do not substitute)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 medium or 3 small)
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup semisweet
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino
- 1/2 cup
* I love cherries and always add more.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 loaf pans and set aside.
- In a mixer bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla extract (I sometimes use coconut or pineapple extract
for extra flavor).
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt and add to the creamed butter mixture alternately
with the bananas.
- Stir in mandarin oranges, coconut, mini-chocolate chips, 1/2 cup almonds, cherries
and dates; mix well to combine.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining almonds (I like more almonds
on my bread).
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes (45 minutes is what I bake it at; it will depend on your
oven) or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 to 15 minutes on a wire rack before removing from
- Cool completely.
Yield: 2 loaves
Posted by BettyBoop at Recipe Goldmine 11/27/2001 2:21 pm.