Hawaiian Holiday Bread
"I grew up in Hawaii and this is a recipe we made as children. My children
have helped me with it every year. We change the extra ingredients in it from year
to year but it's always made with the basic dough for Hawaiian Sweet Bread.
Hawaiian Holiday Bread Dough
- 1/2 cup mashed potato
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon macadamia nut liquor
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- Dough: Put all ingredients in order listed in a bread maker. Choose the dough
- When dough is done, put it on a board and let it rest 10 minutes.
- Glaze: Mix glaze ingredients together. Grease a tube pan. Pour 1/3 on the bottom.
- Divide dough into 30 to 40 equal pieces. Arrange in layers in pan. Pour glaze
in between layers. Let the dough rise until doubled.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand for five minutes and turn pan upside down.
- Serve warm.
Recipe by Peggy Linberg, Upland, California - First place in the L.A. County
Fair Bread Competition