Orange Walnut Holiday Bread
with Sweet Marmalade Butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups walnuts, chopped
Orange Marmalade Butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of two (9x5-inch) loaf pans or
five (5 1/2 x 3-inch) mini loaf pans. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and 1 cup butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs; mix well. Add sour cream, orange juice and orange zest; mix well.
- Reduce speed to low. Add flour, baking powder and baking soda; beat until mixed
- Gently stir in nuts.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes in 9 x 5-inch
pans, or 35 to 45 minutes in mini loaf pans or until a wooden pick inserted in center
comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely.
- Combine 1/2 cup butter, powdered sugar and marmalade in small mixer bowl. Beat
at medium speed, until creamy.
- Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
Yield: 2 large or 5 mini loaves
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.