Partake in rich holiday traditions of Germany when you make this classic fruit-filled
- 1 package regular or quick active dry yeast
cup warm water (105 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 1/2 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour or Harvest King or Better for Bread bread
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped candied citron
- 1/4 cup chopped
candied cherries, if desired
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water.
- Beat in granulated sugar, the salt, eggs, egg yolk, 1/2 cup butter and 1 3/4
cups of the flour with electric mixer on medium speed 10 minutes, scraping bowl
- Stir in remaining flour, the almonds, citron, cherries, raisins and lemon peel.
Scrape batter from side of bowl.
- Cover and let rise in warm place 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until double. (Dough is
ready if indentation remains when touched.) Cover and refrigerate egg white.
- Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Grease cookie sheet. Place dough on well-floured surface; turn to coat with flour.
Divide in half; press each half into 10 x 7-inch oval. Spread with 1 tablespoon
butter. Fold ovals lengthwise in half; press only folded edge firmly.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Beat egg white and 1 tablespoon water; brush over folded ovals.
- Cover and let rise in warm place 45 to 60 minutes or until double.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- In medium bowl, mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Spread glaze over warm
Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each)
Do-Ahead: Tuck 1 or 2 of these baked loaves
in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Substitution: Not fond of citron? Use chopped
dried fruit in its place.
Substitution: Instead of making the glaze,
you can sprinkle the top of the stollen with powdered sugar instead.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 135 (Calories from Fat 45 ); Total
Fat 5 g (Saturated Fat 2 g); Cholesterol 35 mg; Sodium 70 mg; Total Carbohydrate
20 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g); Protein 3 g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2 %; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4 %
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Fat
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Reprinted with permission from
Betty Crocker 2007/TM General Mills.