- 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups sifted flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, dried fruit (I use tropical fruits myself)
- In large mixer bowl combine 2 3/4 cups of the flour, yeast, nutmeg and ginger.
- In saucepan heat together milk, sugar, shortening and salt just until warm; stir
to melt shortening. Add to dry ingredients in bowl and mix.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl
constantly. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes.
- By hand, stir in fruit and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth.
- Place in greased bowl; turn once to grease surface of dough. Cover and let rise
until double, about 2 hours.
- Punch down. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape each half into a ball. Place on greased baking sheets and pat tops to flatten
slightly. Cover and let rise again until double, about 2 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with confectioners' sugar glaze, if desired, and decorate with candied
cherries and nuts.
Posted by Tiffany at Recipe Goldmine 12/16/2001 11:42 am.
Source: Posted by Kislev 12/15/2001 11:11 am