Toffee Meringue Gingerbread
Gingerbread is done one better when baked with a sweet brown sugar meringue.
- 2 1/3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate-covered toffee bits
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chocolate-covered toffee bits
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease bottom and side of 9-inch springform pan or
9-inch square pan with shortening; lightly flour.
- In large bowl, beat all gingerbread ingredients except toffee bits with electric
mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 3
minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in 1/2 cup toffee bits. Pour into pan.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix egg whites and cream of tartar with electric mixer
on high speed until foamy.
- Beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Stir in 1/4 cup toffee bits.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Spread meringue over hot gingerbread.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until meringue is light brown.
- Serve warm.
Prep time: 25 Min
Total time: 1 Hr 20 Min
Yield: 9 servings
Expert Tips: Either mild- or full-flavor molasses
will work in this recipe. The full-flavor variety will give the cake a stronger,
more assertive flavor.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Serving) Calories 520 (Calories from
Fat 170), Total Fat 18g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 2g), Cholesterol 35mg; Sodium
460mg; Total Carbohydrate 83g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 50g), Protein 5g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0.00%; Vitamin C 0.00%; Calcium 10.00%; Iron
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 3 1/2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 5 1/2
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Betty Crocker 2011/TM General Mills.