Vanilla Sugar Loaf
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large egg
- 1/3 cup sifted powdered
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pour 1 1/4 cups sugar into a jar. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape
tiny vanilla bean seeds into sugar; cut bean into 1 inch pieces, and add to vanilla
sugar. Cover and shake vigorously to mix, or stir well. Let stand for 24 hours.
- Combine flour, baking powder; and salt; stir well.
- Beat butter at low speed of an electric mixer until creamy.
- Remove and discard pieces of vanilla bean from sugar. Gradually add vanilla sugar
to butter; beating at medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until
- Pour batter into a lightly greased and floured 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract; stir well.
- Prick tiny holes in top of loaf with a wooden pick. Spoon glaze mixture over
warm loaf; let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 additional minutes.
- Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf
Per serving: 394 Calories; 21g Fat (49% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 47g
Carbohydrate; 125mg Cholesterol; 168mg Sodium
Source: Christmas with Southern Living 1997