Sweet Potato-Caramel Twist Coffee Cake
Three different sweets create the yummy goodness in these twists: brown sugar, corn syrup and sweet potatoes.
DID YOU KNOW...You can soften brown sugar by sealing it in an airtight container with an apple slice for a couple days.
SUBSTITUTION: Walnuts would make a nice stand-in for the pecans.
SPECIAL TOUCH: Serve these moist, rich, delicious coffee cake twists on a silver platter lined with doilies at your next tea party.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 cups Original Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cup mashed vacuum-pack sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in ungreased square pan, 9 x 9 x 2 inches, in oven. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar and the corn syrup. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Mix Bisquick mix, sweet potatoes and milk until dough forms a ball. Turn dough onto surface dusted with Bisquick mix. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll or pat into 12-inch square. Spread 2 tablespoons butter over dough. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons brown sugar over butter. Fold dough into thirds; press edges together to seal. Cut crosswise into twelve 1-inch strips. Twist ends of each strip in opposite directions. Arrange twists on pecans in pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately turn upside down onto heatproof serving plate; leave pan over coffee cake 1 minute.
- Serve warm.
Yield: 12 twists
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) No changes.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 290 (Calories from Fat 130); Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 1g); Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 380mg; Total Carbohydrate 38g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 19g); Protein 3g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6%
Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 2 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2 1/2
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.