Almond Eggnog Pound Cake
Yield: 12 to 14 servings
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix*
- 1 1/2 cups commercial eggnog
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 inch fluted tube pan with 2 tablespoons butter. Press almonds onto the bottom and sides of pan; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, eggnog, eggs, rum extract, nutmeg and melted butter on low speed for 30 seconds or just until moistened.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
* 18.25 ounce boxes of cake mix have been replaced by 16.5 ounce and 15.25 ounce boxes. To compensate for the volume loss in a 16 ounce box, whisk 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour into the dry cake mix before proceeding with the recipe. To compensate for the volume loss in a 15.25 ounce box, add 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.