Almond Pound Cake with Cherry-Berry Sauce
Create a memorable dessert cake family and friends will request again and again.
Yield: 16 servings
- 3 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 (12.5 ounce) can almond pastry filling
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, halved
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup orange juice
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and side of 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with shortening; lightly flour.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, the butter, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Beat in flour mixture, milk and pastry filling on low speed until blended. Spread in pan.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool for 20 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
- Cool completely, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a 2 quart saucepan, cook all Cherry-Berry Sauce ingredients over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until cranberries pop and mixture boils and thickens slightly. Store covered in refrigerator.
- In chilled small bowl, beat all Sweetened Whipped Cream ingredients with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Serve cake with whipped cream and warm sauce.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.
How-To: To reheat sauce, microwave in microwavable bowl uncovered on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring once.
Per serving: Calories 430 (Calories from Fat 180); Total Fat 20g (Saturated Fat 8g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 110mg; Sodium 250mg; Total Carbohydrate 56g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars ncg); Protein 6g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8%
Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1 Fruit; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 4
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: