Almond Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 4 drops red food coloring
- 4 drops green food coloring
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10-inch Bundt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until well mixed with an
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Blend
in flour and salt. Mix in almond extract. Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until a wooden pick when inserted in the center
of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Break off tablespoon-size pieces of the almond paste, and shape into holly
leaves. Using the tip of a knife, score the shaped holly leaf to resemble veins
in the leaves.
- Mix green food coloring with a small amount of water and brush the holly
leaves, repeating until desired color is reached. Set aside on waxed paper.
- Break off 2 tablespoons of almond paste, and knead in several drops of red
food coloring. When color of almond paste is a bright red, break off smaller
pieces. Roll into balls to resemble holly berries. Place on wax paper.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar and milk. Mix until smooth.
- When the cake has cooled, drizzle with the powdered sugar glaze.
- Top with blanched almonds, and garnish with the marzipan holly leaves and
Yield: 12 servings