Bittersweet Chocolate Raspberry
- 8 ounces 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, divided
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Clover honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 pint raspberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut 2 ounces of chocolate into 18 pieces; set aside. Place 6 ounces of coarsely
chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir
well. Microwave 30 seconds more on high and stir until all lumps are gone. If
more melting is necessary, microwave in 10 second increments and stir until
all lumps are gone. Chocolate should not become too warm.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add honey and melted chocolate;
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low
until just combined.
- With mixer running on low, slowly add the buttermilk. Add
remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
- Place a tablespoon of batter in the bottom of each paper-lined muffin tin.
- Add one piece of chocolate and 2 to 3 raspberries to each cup.
- Fill muffin tins
two-thirds full with remaining batter.
- Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of a muffin
comes out clean.
- Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Frost with Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting, if desired.
Yield: 18 cupcakes
* Any mild-flavored honey such as Clover may be used.
Recipe and photo credit: National Honey Board.