Bittersweet Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cupcakes
Yield: 18 cupcakes
- 8 ounces 60% cocoa bittersweet chocolate, divided
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup clover honey*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 pint (1 cup) raspberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut 2 ounces of chocolate into 18 pieces; set aside. Place 6 ounces of coarsely chopped chocolate in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave 30 seconds on high; stir well. Microwave for 30 seconds more on high and stir until all lumps are gone. If more melting is necessary, microwave in 10 second increments and stir until all lumps are gone. Chocolate should not become too warm.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter until fluffy.
- Add honey and melted chocolate; mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time.
- Add half of the reserved dry ingredients to the butter mixture; mix on low until just combined.
- With mixer running on low, slowly add the buttermilk. Add remaining dry ingredients until just combined.
- Place a tablespoon of batter in the bottom of each paper-lined muffin tin.
- Add one piece of chocolate and 2 to 3 raspberries to each cup.
- Fill muffin tins two thirds full with remaining batter.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove to wire rack; cool.
- Frost with Bittersweet Chocolate Frosting, if desired.
* Any mild-flavored honey such as clover may be used.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
National Honey Board