Chiquita Holiday Banana Fruitcake
Yield: 3 1/2 pound fruitcake
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or less
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups large pecan halves or whole Brazil nutmeats, do not chop
- 1 pound whole dates (3 cups pitted)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar whole maraschino cherries, drained
- 3 cups sliced ripe bananas (3 to 4)
- 4 eggs
- Glazed fruits for decoration
- Sift flour with sugar, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add nuts, dates and maraschino cherries and stir so that all nuts and fruits are covered with flour mixture.
- In another bowl beat bananas until mashed.
- Add eggs and continue beating until well blended and mixture is light and fluffy.
- Fold into flour mixture.
- Pour into a 9 x 5 x 2 3/4 inch loaf pan which has been lined with brown paper and greased well.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 3/4 to 2 hours or until cake springs back when center is touched lightly with finger.
- Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and pull off brown paper. Dust, if desired, with confectioners' sugar. Decorate top as desired.
- Let cake stand in cool place overnight before cutting.
- Wrap in foil and store in refrigerator or cool place.