Chocolate-Almond Yule Log
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3/4 teaspoon
cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
cup all-purpose flour
- Confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond- or cherry-flavored liqueur (optional)
- Chocolate frosting (about 2 cups)
- Sliced blanched almonds,
- Cinnamon candies, optional
- Sliced green glace cherries, optional
- Lightly grease 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jellyroll pan. Line bottom with wax paper.
Grease again. Set aside.
- In small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup sugar and water to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer
1 minute. Set aside to cool.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until
foamy. Add 1/3 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until
sugar is dissolved (rub just a bit of meringue between thumb and forefinger to feel
if sugar has dissolved) and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- In small mixing bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until thick and lemon-colored,
about 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup of the sugar until blended.
Beat in vanilla extract, almond extract and salt.
- In small bowl, stir together ground almonds and flour. Sprinkle over whites.
Add beaten yolk mixture. Gently, but thoroughly, fold yolk mixture and almond mixture
into whites. Pour into prepared pan. Gently spread evenly. Bake in preheated 400
degree F oven until top springs back when lightly touched with finger, about 10
to 12 minutes.
- Dust clean tea towel with confectioners' sugar. With spatula, loosen cake
from sides of pan and invert onto prepared towel. Carefully pull wax paper off bottom
of cake. Trim all edges with serrated knife. Stir liqueur, if desired, into cooled,
reserved sugar syrup. Spoon evenly over inside surface of hot cake. Starting from
short edge, roll up cake, rolling towel with cake. Place wrapped roll seam-side
down on wire rack until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Carefully unroll cake. Spread with about 1 cup chocolate frosting. Re-roll. Place
seam-side down on serving platter. Spread with about 1 cup additional frosting,
using small spatula to create tree-bark effect. Garnish with sliced almonds, candies
and cherries, if desired.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
If prepared in advance, baked and cooled cake may be frozen without filling.
Wrap well with aluminum foil or plastic wrap. To thaw, let wrapped cake stand at
room temperature about 1 hour.
Recipe and photo credit: American Egg Board.